BECOME A MENTOR
Are you interested in becoming a mentor to an older foster youth? Making a difference in a youth’s life isn’t as complicated as you may imagine. Just being a phone call away can make all the difference in the world.
The Empower Mentor Program is facilitated by the Foundation for Foster Children developed to create or strengthen emotional, educational, and social support for current or former foster youth placed in Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties in Florida. The program is developed to assist 17-23 year olds with continuation of their education and with general life skills training who are in out of home foster care, extended foster care or those living independently and receiving Post-Secondary Educational Services and Support (PESS). Through the EMPOWER program, youth are matched with a supportive community volunteer to help them transition into adulthood and independency.
- To create a supportive relationship in a youth’s life with someone to listen to them and reach out to for advice.
- To increase the success of older youth from foster care living independently with the necessary life skills to thrive as an individual and contributing member of our community.
Length of Commitment:
The mentor is expected to meet with the mentee at least 2 hours per month. After the completion of the 10 months, mentors and mentees may still receive support from the Foundation.
Task Based Mentor Groups:
- Life Skills, Budgeting and Transportation
- Career Exploration, Technology and Academics
- Outdoor Adventures, Activities and Sports
- Art, Creativity and Culinary
- Mind/Body/Spirit Holistic Wellness
– Minimum age 18
– Complete Empower Mentor Application
– Have 3 references complete reference form and be willing to follow up by phone
– Schedule and attend interview with FFC Empower team
– Provide copy of driver’s license and insurance verification
– Pass a criminal background check
– Attend Mentor Orientation
With questions, contact Eric Olin at firstname.lastname@example.org and 407.422.4615.
If you are an existing mentor, please check out our helpful resources.
What people are saying about EMPOWER:
“I feel like I have someone to talk to” – Kamesha, mentee
“I have learned that my time guiding her and belief in her is important to helping her reach her goals but it has also given me a more in-depth knowledge of the issues our foster children face” – Michelle, mentor
“We are like two peas in a pod!” – Jaleeca, mentee